Two and One: Chapter 7

 Hope crawled out of the icy river, pulling her sister Laira to the shore. The dark clouds swirled and boiled the skies above. The demons clambered across the log bridge down the river. The demons were heading toward them.

"Run!" Hope shouted, and they took off, sprinting away from the river and the demons.

"What's that?" Laira asked, pointing to a hill.

Hope squinted and saw a faint light on the hill. "Someone is there."

"Could be another demon," Laira said.

"Demons can't make fire," Hope said. "At least, I don't think so."

"We can't take the chance," Laira said.

They kept running, trying to put as much distance between them and the demons.

The sound of branches snapping and twigs breaking echoed through the darkness, sending a chill down Hope's spine. The smell of rotting wood and damp earth filled her nostrils, and she could taste the stale air on her tongue. She glanced behind her and saw the demons had gotten closer. They were only a few feet away, their teeth gnashing and claws swiping at the air.

Laira pulled her along, urging her to run faster. They dashed through the forest, the ground slippery and wet from the rain. The trees loomed overhead, their branches reaching out like skeletal hands. Hope felt the cold air sting her cheeks, and her breath came in short gasps.

The light on the hill grew brighter, and she could make out the silhouette of a figure standing there. It was a man, tall and broad-shouldered. He waved at them, gesturing for them to come to him.

"I see a path," Laira said, breathing hard. "There is someone up there on the hill!"

Hope glanced behind them and saw the demons had fallen back.

"I don't think they're following us," she said.

"Keep going," Laira said, and they followed the path.

It led to a small camp nestled among the trees.

The camp was a mess of leaves and twigs. A small fire burned in a pit, and a pot hung over it. There was a bedroll and a pile of firewood, and a bow and quiver lay on the ground.

Hope and Laira approached the camp, their hearts pounding.

"Hello?" Laira called out.

No one replied.

"Maybe it's deserted," Hope said.

"Stay back," Laira said, stepping in front of her.

"I'm fine," Hope said. "Besides, you don't know if the person here is friendly."

Laira rolled her eyes. "Fine. Stay here."

Hope watched as her sister stepped into the camp.

"Hello?" Laira called out again.

Food was cooking on the fire, and Laira's mouth watered. She hadn't eaten in days, and the scent of the meat was intoxicating. She took a few steps forward and reached out to grab a piece.

Hope fell to her knees beside the fire. Laira warmed herself.

"Thank the gods," Hope said, staring into the flames.

"It could still be a demon," Laira warned. "We have food."

"Or it could be a survivor," Hope said. "And that food isn't ours."

"There haven't been many of those," Laira said, shaking her head. "Survivors."

"There is if he is me," Grakdar said as he emerged from the shadows.

"Grakdar!" Hope exclaimed, jumping up and embracing the big orc.

"I can't believe you're alive," Laira said.

"How did you survive the demons?" Hope asked.

"The gods are cruel," Grakdar replied. "They let me live."

Grakdar was an orc, and he was a hunter. His body was covered in scars from countless battles with creatures that were bigger and stronger than him. His hands were calloused and rough, and his face was hardened by years of hardship. His eyes were a bright green, and his tusks were sharpened into deadly weapons. He had fought his way through countless demons, orcs, and beasts to get to where he was now, and he wasn't about to let anything get in his way.

"But you're here," Hope said, hugging him. "You have wounds, you are hurt! Let Laira heal you!"

"No elf magic," he grunted. "I'll be fine. How did you two escape?"

"We were saved by the dead elves," Laira said.

"Oh, wonderful," Grakdar muttered.

"The dead elves," Laira explained, "took us to a white oak tree, and we were safe."

"Well, that's something, I guess," Grakdar grunted.

"They gave me powers," Laira continued. "I can make light."

"Good," Grakdar said. "We're gonna need that. The sun hasn't come out in weeks. This is the darkest hour."

"You're not worried about the demons?" Laira asked.

"I am," Grakdar said. "Something about this hill wards them away. I have no idea. There are animals here too. This is an island in the madness."

"So, what do we do now?" Hope asked.

"We wait," Grakdar said.

"For what?"

"For the gods to show us a way," Grakdar replied. "You have a god, elf. A tree too? Why don't you ask that?"

"I already did," Laira said. "The Tree isn't answering me anymore."

"Well, I'm not the praying type," Grakdar grunted. "Never was."

"Neither was I," Hope said. "I trust magic."

Grakdar snorted. "A magic we can't trust. The veil between worlds is breaking. You can't even control it."

"Maybe not," Hope said. "But there's always a way. We just have to find it."

"What are you doing on this hill, Grakdar?" Laira asked.

"I was sent here," he grunted. "The gods wanted me to survive."

"Why?"

"Because I'm the only one who can kill the Demon King," Grakdar said. "if I do, I die, and I can return to my family."

"Wait, what?" Laira exclaimed.

"The gods have a deal for me," Grakdar said. "And me alone. I have to kill the Demon King, and I'll be given an elixir that will bring my mate back. Or it will take my life. I will know what to do when the time comes."

"You can't go and fight the Demon King alone," Laira protested.

"That's the deal," Grakdar grunted.

"And you just agree to it?"

"What choice do I have?"

"What about us?"

"You should leave," Grakdar said. "Get somewhere safe. This hill is protected, but the demons are still out there. They will find a way. This place will fall eventually."

"We can't just leave you," Laira said.

"If you stay, you will die," Grakdar said.

"Maybe not," Hope said. "But we can help you. We can fight the demons."

"No, you can't," Grakdar said.

"How will you know the Demon King is dead?" Laira asked.

"I'll just know," Grakdar replied. "Dead is dead."

"So, you just have to find him?"

"Yeah."

"Well, maybe we can help with that," Laira said.

"No, elf. You have no place in this."

"But, we want to help," Hope said.

"The gods have plans for you," Grakdar replied. "Plans I can't be a part of. They're not my plans. My path is my own."

"But, Grakdar—"

"Please, just listen," Grakdar interrupted.

"I will not let you fight the Demon King alone," Laira snapped. "The gods gave you a mission, fine! But the gods put us together, and brought us back together, for a reason! You can't fight the Demon King alone, and we won't let you."

"I'm an orc," Grakdar growled. "My life is my own. This is what I have to do. I have to avenge my family, and I will. With or without you. But I won't let you die because of me."

"You won't," Hope said.

"I will," Grakdar replied.

"Grakdar," Laira said. "Don't do this. Please. We're in this together. Let us help."

"I will not let you die," Grakdar said.

"Then don't," Hope said.

"You have your task," Grakdar said.

"I will not abandon you," Laira said.

Grakdar sighed. "I guess we're all going to die then. I can't fight you. I am on a mission. A mission to kill."

"A mission to kill, yes," Hope said. "But first, a mission to find. And if we can help you find the Demon King, you will not have to fight him alone. Please, let us help."

Grakdar shook his head. "The gods have abandoned me. The only one I trust is myself."

"You are not alone," Laira said.

Grakdar sat on a log and rubbed his eyes. "You can come. But you fight for yourselves. I don't think I can save you. I can't be distracted by two inexperienced elves. If you get yourself killed, it's on you. Understand?"

"Yes," Hope said.

"Understand, elf?" Grakdar said.

"Of course, Grakdar," Laira said. "It is good to see you alive."

"It is good to see you alive too, Laira. But I fear this is just a small respite."

"What are we going to do?" Laira asked.

"First, eat, rest, recover. Then, we hunt."

"Hunt?"

"The Demon King," Grakdar growled.

"We'll find him," Laira said.

"I'm not worried about finding him," Grakdar said.

"I am worried about killing him."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ivorysong: Truth Stories

The Expedition, Chapter 16

The Expedition: Chapter 10